Thursday, January 19, 2012

Assignment 1



     Hey everyone! I’m Deanna and I’m from Michigan. I have a ton of different interests and hobbies but I’ll narrow it down for this blog. I love to sing, play my guitar/keyboard/harmonica, and write songs. Right now I'm recording my first demo, so I'm pretty stoked. Music probably takes up eighty percent of my thought process throughout the day. Another hobby I’m obsessed with is going on food adventures with my sister. We find all of these hole-in-the-wall places in different states and try a variety of unusual ethnic food and explore our palates. I also love to dance. I danced for nine years; the typical jazz, ballet, tap, and point, but I also took belly dancing and Ukrainian folk dancing. Out of all of the different styles my favorite, to this day, is improve 80s dance moves. My friends and I use to break out and do the “running man”, the “shopping cart”, or any other 80s move in random public places; people thought we were crazy but it was uber fun.

     Some musicians I truly admire are Mumford and Sons, Citizen Cope, and Emma Louise. I feel as though they are my musical soul mates whose lyrical styling reflect my own. I have an odd interest in psychology and studies about human behavior related to the brain and hormones. So I feel as though science is a type of art. I’m also a huge fan of poetry. Some of my favorite poetry books are “Blushing”,”Kiss Off”, and “The Hell With Love”. These are all collections of different poets’ work, all relating to “love” in some form.

     The reason I’m at Columbia is because of their Music department’s CUP program. I was originally a Vocal Performance major but due to health reasons I made the decision to switch to Music Business. But Columbia’s contemporary music department program was a dream for me. Everywhere else I visited only offered classical training. Plus, how can you pass up the chance to live in downtown Chicago?!

     I’m really excited about this course. I don’t really have any concerns yet, but that might change in time. (haha)The mediums I’d probably end up using are music, sketches, or maybe even some of my lyrics/poems. I’m looking forward to this project!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Deanna.
    Wow, you are into a lot of things!!! The spontaneous dance sessions sound like tons o' fun! Your musical interests are great (and varied!), too. I'm really interested in your idea of "science as a type of art"--we will have to discuss this more. :-)
    Remember, that you will be able to use a number of different mediums in collaboration to interpret your papers--I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete